|Dates||Start time||End time||Coordinator||registrations
|28 and 29 September 2020||09:00||17:00||Jos Smelik||15 / 15||Registration ended at 10/07/2020|
This is a two-day training which will teach you the tools necessary to create beautiful and functional vector graphics, graphs/charts and icons. These are the building blocks of your infographics. You will be able to translate your data and visualize them in a more graphical and beautiful way. You will learn how to use Adobe Illustrator from scratch and practice with the design of an infographic.
Our objective is to introduce you to the power of Adobe Illustrator and help you design your own vector graphics, graphs & icons. These you will then use to create your own infographics. You will be provided with the basic rules of infographic design and what you must do to make your story clear to your audience. You will learn to translate your data to an appealing graph or chart with the help of Adobe Illustrator instead of Microsoft Excel.
The first day is focused on Adobe Illustrator and the infographic design theory while the second day you will be challenged to design an infographic in groups of 3 or 4 people. The training is designed to help you understand the power of good data visualization and vector graphic design towards the design of an infographic. You will do this in steps through different assignments during the course.
|Target Group:||PhD's and Post-docs|
|Group size:||8 to 15 participants|
|Course duration:||2 days|
|Credit points:||0.6 ECTS|
|Self-study hours:||We recommend at least 16 hours of self-study and practice after the course|
|Name lecturer:||Iliana Boshoven-Gkini|
The following topics will be covered on the first day:
- Designing basics & principles
- Infographic basics
- Using Illustrator workspace
- Setting up artboards and documents
- Working with layers
- Creating basic and complex shapes
- Using drawing tools
- Transforming objects
- Visually improve your graphs and charts
- Grouping and ungrouping objects
- Adding fills and strokes
- Working with color
- Image tracing
- Using appearences, filters and effects
- Working with text and type
- Working with 3D
- Printing and exporting files
On the second day the following topics will be covered:
- Data visualization
- Draw charts and graphs
- Plan an effective infographic
- Work process
- Combine the building blocks to create an infographic
- Use effectively elements like type, color and icons
- Combine icons and illustrations in your infographics
- Good and bad infographic design
- Design an infographic
You will be provided with a manual of the theory, "Shortcut Sheets" for Illustrator, and extra reading material for further understanding.
• PhD candidates of Wageningen University with an approved Training and Supervision Plan (TSP) who are registered at one of the WU graduate schools (EPS, PE&RC, VLAG, WASS, WIAS, WIMEK)
• Postdocs of Wageningen University who are registered at one of the WU graduate schools
|University fee: All other PhD candidates / Wageningen University postdocs and staff||€ 300|
|External fee: All other participants||€ 600|
Fee includes study and training material, coffee/tea and lunches.
You may cancel free of charge up to four weeks before the start of the course. After this date you will be charged the University fee. Unless:
- You can find someone to replace you in the course and supply the course coordinator with the name and contact information of your replacement.
In this case you will only be charged a € 50,- cancellation fee.
- You (PhDs and postdocs of Wageningen University) have a valid reason to cancel (illness or death in the family 1st or 2nd degree).
In this case you will be charged the reduced fee and your supervisor/PI must send a mail indicating the reason for cancellation.
For more information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org