|Dates||Start time||End time||Location||Coordinator||registrations|
7 and 8 May, 7 June 2018
Day 1 ends at 20.00 pm. Personal meeting scheduled for 10 and 11 April 2018 (takes 1 hr)
|09:00||17:00||Leeuwenborch, room C0082||Linda Overeem||12 / 10||Apply|
This 3-day workshop focuses on communications styles, coaching formats, leadership, cultural issues, distance based supervision, writing moments and personal needs related to supervision of PhD candidates. Much emphasis is placed on sharing knowledge and experiences, trying out new techniques and strategies, and discussing other related issues to supervision. Another key element of these workshops is the peer coaching meeting between day 2 and day 3 where the participants handle several real life practical cases.
New to the workshop is that more emphasis is put on the supervision of the writing process and the specific role a supervisor can/should play.
Note that: Apart from being credited in Tenure Track, this course also replaces the Supervising thesis students course as part of the University Teaching Qualification (UTQ = BKO) when an additional assignment is done. For further information contact Educational Staff Development: email@example.com
WGS organizes this workshop because:
- Supervision is a crucial factor in the success and duration of a PhD project.
- The PhD duration needs to be brought back to 4 years while keeping the quality at a high level and as such the urge for good supervision has increased.
- Supervisors themselves indicate a need in support to improve / strengthen their supervision skills given the developments within the scientific arena.
Specific goals of the workshop:
- After the Personal Intake (see programme below for specifics) the supervisor will be able to formulate his/her personal goals of learning and development
- Supervisors will share knowhow and experiences with colleagues and learn from these experiences
- Supervisors are aware of their own style of supervision, the strengths and possible pitfalls and how to deal with them
- Supervisors will make optimal use of their own capacities and those of others
- Supervisors will be able to apply various communication techniques
- Supervisors will practise the essential components of writing and coaching on this matter
- Supervisors will recognize different “types of PhD candidates” and subsequently learn how to apply various coaching styles
Supervisors will learn their role and responsibility with regard to the research project (planning, focus and monitoring)
|Target Group:||Staff members (Full, Associate and Assistant Professors) of Wageningen UR who are member of one of the Wageningen Graduate Schools and who are supervising PhD students. Participants should have at least half a year experience in supervising PhDs|
|Group size:||Min. 10 and max. 12 participants|
|Course duration:||3 days (the first day ends at 8pm!). About 3 weeks before the workshop starts you will have a personal intake (1 hour). 2 weeks before the workshop we ask you to fill in personality style inquiries (via email)|
|Language:||English or Dutch (depending on the nationality of the participants)|
|Consultants:||Barend van den Broek, MSc (Valley Consult) and dr. Joy de Jong (Wageningen in’to Languages). Both consultants have an academic training and each of them has over 25 years of experience in research, education, international management and coaching. They are already involved in educational and coaching activities at Wageningen UR and other universities|
Certificate: participants will receive an authentic certificate after completing the workshops.
The content of the 3-day course basically follows the entire PhD process from selection to graduation (which the PhD candidates and their supervisors go through).
The participants will be introduced to 4 coat racks, 3 ribbons and 4 writing moments:
4 Coat Racks
The course is build up in 4 consecutive periods named coat racks:
- Selection process of the PhD
- Road to TSP
- Go / No Go Decision
- Ongoing concern till graduation
These are important items that continuously play a vital role during the entire PhD supervision. These ribbons are intertwined in the course as:
- Effective Interaction
- Stages & Positions during supervision process
- Culture, Character, Competences
4 Writing Moments (new)
As writing is an essential component during the entire PhD process 4 moments will be examined and experienced:
- First year monitoring
- Model to evaluate research plans
- Discuss writing with PhD
- Writing support groups
The programme consists of three parts:
PART 1: Personal Meeting
Before the workshop starts each participant will have a personal meeting with the consultants. The personal meeting will serve as an input for a tailor made workshop closely related to the individual needs of the participants. Furthermore we expect from each participant to formulate his/her personal goals to be achieved.
PART 2: Day 1 & 2 of the supervisory workshops
The exact programme of the workshops will be based on the outcome of the Personal Intakes. The focus of the supervisory workshops will be on two different levels: (A) awareness and (B) training and sharing skills. Please note: there is an evening programme on day 1.
PART 3: Day 3 of supervisory workshops
Four weeks after day 2, the third day is organised where the toolbox of the supervisors will become more taylor-made. Participants will reflect on what they have learned during day 1 and day 2, and on what they have experienced/practised during the peer coaching meeting and the personal action plan. Much emphasis will be placed on various coaching styles. Participants can practise and develop their own style in role plays.
|Reduced fee: Supervisors who are member of a Wageningen Graduate School (EPS, PE&RC, VLAG, WASS, WIAS, WIMEK) and are supervisor of PhD candidates who will be defending their thesis at Wageningen University||€ 650|
|University fee: All other Wageningen University postdocs and staff||€ 1500|
|Extended fee: All other participants||€ 2500|
You may cancel free of charge up to four weeks before the start of the course. After this date you will be charged the University fee. Unless:
- You can find someone to replace you in the course and supply the course coordinator with the name and contact information of your replacement.
In this case you will only be charged a € 50,- cancellation fee.
- For staff of Wageningen University: when you have a valid reason to cancel (illness or death in the family 1st or 2nd degree).
In this case you will be charged the reduced fee and your supervisor/superior must send a mail indicating the reason for cancellation.
For more information please contact Claudius.vandeVijver@wur.nl / Tel: 0317-485116