|Dates||Start time||End time||Coordinator||registrations|
|2, 9, 16 and 23 October 2018 (personal interviews on 29 October and 01 November)||09:30||17:15||Susan Urbanus||12 / 12||Add to waiting list|
If you have doubts about pursuing a job in science and find it difficult to think about which direction to go, if you cannot describe your special skills yet, or if you are not sure which is the best way to start looking for a job, this will be a good course for you. In a step-by-step approach you will do many different kinds of practical exercises. At the end of the programme you are offered a personal interview to discuss your situation more in depth.
|Target group:||The course is set up for PhD students in their third or fourth year, and postdocs|
|Group size:||A minimum of 10 and a maximum of 12 participants|
|Course duration:||Four separate days and additional 1 - 1.5 h individual interviews. For the individual interviews an appointment will be made during the course. Being present at all 4 days and the individual interview is obligatory!|
|Credit points:||1.5 ECTS|
|Trainer:||Caroline Rehbach or Brigitte Hertz (www.bhertz.nl)|
|Venue:||Wageningen University, Wageningen Campus, Droevendaalsesteeg, Wageningen, The Netherlands.
Note: Room and building will be communicated with registered and confirmed participants about one week before the start of the course.
Programme and Intended Results
- Day 1: In the first day we will focus on personal objectives and values to discover what is important to you in work, and life in general. We will discuss a method to reach your goals
Homework: Describe some of your successes, ask feedback of others on your skills. Set the first, very small step to reaching one of your goals
- Day 2: The second day we will focus on your personal skills and do many different exercises to find out about them. At the end of the day you will combine all the elements in a handy scheme about the skills you already have and those you still would like to develop
Homework: Describe your favourite working environment, Ask two others what they like about their working environment, Make a plan for the development of your skills and take a first action
- Day 3: On the third day we will discuss important aspects of work- and the working place and different strategies for landing a job. We will focus on network interviews as one of the important strategies and practise several interviews
Homework: Do a network interview and write your CV and an application letter
- Day 4: On this last day we will assess the CV and Job application letters of all the participants and practise job interviews
- Day 5: Individual coaching sessions. All the participants can discuss their own remaining, sometimes private, questions with the trainer in an one-hour session
A certificate will be handed out to participants who have met the course requirements.
At the end of this course, the participants will:
- know what kind of jobs they are interested in
- will know their special skills
- will have plan how to proceed looking for a job
- be able to communicate their strengths and plans to others
WGS course Career Orientation versus related WGS course Career Perspectives
Career Orientation aims for personal discovery and acquisition of the most inspiring job.
Career Perspectives is meant for PhD's in their third or fourth year who want to take the next step in their career and want support in defining and taking that step.
You should not participate in both Career Orientation and Career Perspectives at the same time. Please have a look at the description of the courses, and choose the one that is most appropriate for you.
• PhD candidates of Wageningen University with an approved Training and Supervision Plan (TSP) who are registered at one of the WU graduate schools (EPS, PE&RC, VLAG, WASS, WIAS, WIMEK)
• Postdocs of Wageningen University who are registered at one of the WU graduate schools
|University fee: All other PhD candidates / Wageningen University postdocs and staff||€ 700|
|External fee: All other participants||€ 1400|
Fee includes study and training material, coffee/tea and lunches.
You may cancel free of charge up to four weeks before the start of the course. After this date you will be charged the University fee. Unless:
- You can find someone to replace you in the course and supply the course coordinator with the name and contact information of your replacement.
In this case you will only be charged a € 50,- cancellation fee.
- You (PhDs and postdocs of Wageningen University) have a valid reason to cancel (illness or death in the family 1st or 2nd degree).
In this case you will be charged the reduced fee and your supervisor/PI must send a mail indicating the reason for cancellation.
For more information please contact email@example.com, tel: +31 (0)317 484926.