|Dates||Start time||End time||Coordinator||registrations|
23 and 24 October 2018
Day 2 ends at 12:30
|09:00||17:00||Jos Smelik||16 / 7||Apply|
4 and 5 December 2018
Day 2 ends at 12:30
|09:00||17:00||Jos Smelik||16 / 2||Apply|
This course on Searching and Organising Literature is offered by Wageningen Graduate Schools and organised by Wageningen University & Research Library.
In this course you will learn to:
- Use the WUR Library, including bibliographic databases on different platforms, electronic journals, my library, alerting services, etcetera
- Identify and choose appropriate information sources for your research
- Use different search strategies (quick search, following a thread, and advanced search queries)
- Build advanced search queries, using Boolean operators and database specific search tools
- Manage your references using Endnote. EndNote is citation management software that allows you to organise your own literature references. It is closely integrated with your word processor, and makes the inclusion of references in your reports and articles really easy.
You will also get an individual instruction and help in developing a balanced search plan, that will be beneficial throughout your PhD period.
|Target Group:||The course is set up for PhD-students and postdocs|
|Group size:||10-16 participants|
|Course duration:||Two days|
|Credit points:||0.6 ECTS|
|Name lecturer:||Annemie Kersten (course leader) and Information Specialists of Wageningen University & Research Library|
23 October: PC0725
24 October: PC0531
Day 1 (09:00-17:00)
Effective use of the WUR Library, including:
- Bibliographic databases on different platforms
- Search strategies and search queries
- My Library: customisation, alerts and off campus access
- Getting known items
- WUR Library Search
Please note: This part of the course has a great deal of overlap with the Information Literacy courses in the BSc and MSc programmes at Wageningen University.
Day 2 (09:00-12:30)
Intensive instruction and practical on EndNote.
Developing a personal information plan (appointment with information specialist)
You will draft a strategy to satisfy your information needs covering the PhD period. You will develop your personal search plan in cooperation with the information specialists of Wageningen University & Research Library. This part of the course consists of intensively supervised development of an information plan for each participant individually, that will benefit your PhD research period.
The information specialist that best matches your subject will make an appointment with you for a follow-up meeting.
|1. Reduced fee: PhD candidates of Wageningen University with an approved Training and Supervision Plan (TSP) and postdocs of Wageningen University that are registered at one of the graduate schools of Wageningen (EPS, PE&RC, VLAG, WASS, WIAS, WIMEK)||€ 140,-|
|2. Full fee: All other PhD candidates / post-docs and staff of Wageningen University||€ 280,-|
|3. Extended fee: All other participants||€ 560,-|
Fee includes study and training material, coffee/tea and lunches.
Until four weeks before the start of the course, you can cancel free of charge. After this date you will be charged with the “Full Fee”.
Exemption of payment:
When there is a replacement (who you can propose, in this case please inform the course coordinator) you will only be charged with €100.
- For PhD’s and post-docs of Wageningen University: when you have a valid reason (circumstances beyond your control) to cancel, you will be charged the reduced fee. In this case a written statement of the supervisor/superior is required.
Note: When you do not have a valid reason to cancel or do not show up at courses that are free of charge you will be charged with €100.
For more information please contact the Management Support Unit of the Library: tel: +31 (0)317-485479 or email firstname.lastname@example.org