|Dates||Start time||End time||Coordinator||registrations
|11, 18 and 25 March 2021||09:00||12:00||Jos Smelik||4 / 18||Apply|
|27 May, 3 and 10 June 2021||09:00||12:00||Jos Smelik||2 / 18||Apply|
This course is offered by Wageningen Graduate Schools and organised by WUR Library. It consists of lectures and practical assignments that cover various aspects of managing research data: from organising your data files during data collection to publishing your final dataset.
The course is divided into three parts. Part 1 focuses on how to set up your data collection system and how to keep it organised and ensure it is understandable. Part 2 deals with data storage options and the support and services available at WUR. Part 3 goes into how to prepare your data for the future and how to fill in your data management plan.
You are obliged to take all three parts.
|Target Group:||PhD's and postdocs|
|Group size:||18 participants|
|Course duration:||3 hours each part, 9 hours in total|
|Credit points:||0.45 ECTS|
|Self-study hours||1 hour each part, 3 hours in total|
|Name lecturer:||Shauna Ní Fhlaithearta (course leader) and Irene Verhagen|
Part 1: What is data management and how to set up your data collection system. At the end of part 1 you will:
- be able to define research data and research data management;
- understand how to systematically organise folders and (versions of) files;
- know how to keep research notes to make a dataset understandable;
- be aware of issues concerning privacy when working with people.
Part 2: Where to store your data and why share it? At the end of part 2 you will:
- be familiar with the data storage solutions at WUR;
- understand the (dis)advantages of different storage options;
- understand the importance of making research data available to others;
- be familiar with different open data licenses and their implications.
Part 3: How to make your data future-proof. At the end of part 3 you will:
- know where and how to look for suitable repositories for your data;
- know how to prepare a dataset for submission to a repository;
- be familiar with the data management requirements, support and services at WUR;
- have completed a draft data management plan for your project.
|1. Reduced fee: PhD candidates of Wageningen University with an approved Training and Supervision Plan (TSP) and postdocs of Wageningen University that are registered at one of the graduate schools of Wageningen (EPS, PE&RC, VLAG, WASS, WIAS, WIMEK)||€ 120,-|
|2. Full fee: All other PhD candidates / post-docs and staff of Wageningen University||€ 240,-|
|3. Extended fee: All other participants||€ 480,-|
Fee includes study and training material and coffee/tea.
Until 1 month before the start of the course, you can cancel free of charge. After this date you will be charged with the “Full Fee”.
Exemption of payment:
When there is a replacement (who you can propose, in this case please inform the course coordinator) you will only be charged with €50.
- For PhDs and post-docs of Wageningen University: when you have a valid reason (circumstances beyond your control) to cancel, you will be charged the reduced fee. In this case a written statement of the supervisor/superior is required.
Note: When you do not have a valid reason to cancel or do not show up at courses that are free of charge you will be charged with €100.
For more information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org